The fact that it is 2022, 2022, is surreal. I’ve written (and not yet posted but soon come maybe) about all the weird shit this pandemic has done to time. We all got stuck somewhere around March 2020, and as of yet, I can see no viable way forward or out. Still, something about this year feels different. There’s been a shift in the air, in our moods, in the way we interact with each other. In every one of my friend groups, we are reckoning with ourselves — perhaps because after two years of utter uncertainty and death at a scale never before experienced in our country, we have realized that we are all we can control.
I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions, but after just over one year of therapy, I have started to pick up on some common themes. And just like everyone around me, I feel the shift. So, here are my 2022 Prayers, Affirmations, and Themes. I’m writing them for me (another thing my therapist taught me), but I’m sharing them because that’s what writers do and because maybe they’ll be helpful to you too.
- God, grant me the strength to do what I know is good for me — even when I don’t want to.
- God, grant me the courage to honor the being I know that I am — despite the pain I may endure for doing so.
- God, remove fear and doubt from my head and heart — so that I may step into the purpose You have for me fully.
- I will not pretend to not know who I am and what I can do.
- I will not make concessions about things in which I do not believe.
- I will not make myself small for the comfort of others.
- I will respect my boundaries and needs.
- I will communicate when I am uncomfortable.
- I am not responsible for other people’s feelings.
I know it gets harder every day, but stay sane out there guys.